Provost's Senior Staff
Associate Vice Provost for Academic and Faculty Affairs and Director of Academic Human Resources
Jeffery Frumkin has specialized in academic human resource matters for nearly 25 years at the Systemwide Office of the University of California, Michigan State University, Eastern Michigan University, and the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.
Academic Human Resources (AHR) provides advice and assistance in human resource matters affecting faculty, primary staff, and graduate student instructors, to deans, associate deans, department chairs, and University organizations. Advice and assistance are guided by the Standard Practice Guide and the Regents Bylaws. AHR has specific responsibility for faculty grievance procedures and direct responsibility (on behalf of the Provost) for the negotiation and administration of the collective bargaining agreements between the University and the Graduate Employees Organization (GEO) and the Lecturers' Employee Organization (LEO).
Other AHR responsibilities include:
- Verifying sabbatical service and exceptions.
- Approving reduction in force requests (for employees in academic units with 10 or more years of service).
- Approving retirement agreements for faculty, including variances to the furlough policy and the phased retirement policy.
- Approving supplemental salary requests (including overloads in excess of 25%).
- Providing advice and consultation to faculty and academic administrators covering the entire range of personnel issues for faculty, including leaves of absence, sabbatical eligibility, salary issues, outside consulting requirements, appointment criteria, etc.
- Coordinating the collection and review of Regents Communications for any personnel action at the senior faculty ranks (appointment, tenure or promotion), appointment to an academic administrative position and appointment as a named endowed chair requiring Regental approval.
- Administering the several faculty grievance procedures.
- Managing the tenure and promotion process for the Provost Office.
Dr. Frumkin is a native Detroiter who received his Bachelor's of Arts, Masters of Arts and Ph.D. from Michigan State University, the latter degree in Higher Education Administration in 1983. Dr. Frumkin has been the Director of AHR since January, 1998.
Academic Human Resources
4005 Wolverine Tower
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1281
Fax: (734) 763-2891