Office of the Provost

The University of Michigan Faculty Handbook

17.D University Travel Registry

In the event of an emergency, it is important to be able to reach University faculty members who are traveling on business. The Travel Registry may be used to register international and domestic travel, as well as personal and leisure travel.

The Travel Planning website at provides access to the travel registry for members of the University community who are planning international travel to record their itinerary and contact information overseas.  Faculty, staff, and students traveling outside the United States should consult the website and register their trips.  University faculty, staff, and students are required to register their international travel plans when traveling for University-related purposes.

Faculty should also leave an itinerary and contact information with their department and at least one other person. In addition, faculty should inform their hosts at their research or business site about their daily schedule. When working in the field, it is advisable for faculty to leave word at their hotel or other accommodation as well as the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, so that someone knows when the faculty member is expected to return and how to reach him or her in an emergency.

17.D.1 Travel Warnings

Travel warnings (to avoid travel in certain countries), Consular Information Sheets (guidelines for every country), and public announcements (e.g., terrorist threats) are available online at the U.S. Department of State travel website <>. It is important for U.S. citizens traveling in a remote location where there has been political unrest to know the location of the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

The International Travel Oversight Committee monitors health and safety conditions in sites abroad, both where the University has ongoing programs and where individuals may be traveling on University-related business. In addition, the Committee reviews safety, health, and logistical arrangements for existing and proposed study abroad programs and other international group activities. For more information, see the Travel Planning website at <>.

17.D.2 Travel Accident Insurance

Through the benefits office, the University provides accidental death and permanent total disability insurance for all University employees while traveling on University business. See section 15.R, "Travel Accident Insurance and Secure Travel Plan."

An accident occurring during travel of a personal nature or travel between the faculty member's residence and usual place of business would be covered by the faculty member's personal insurance policy.

Faculty may find it advantageous to purchase supplemental travel insurance, particularly if they will travel for an extended period of time or to another country. University Health Services offers travel abroad health insurance [], a plan administered by HTH Worldwide. For required individuals or those enrolled as part of a group, HTH insurance premiums are included in the program fee and University administrators register and purchase the plan for participants. All other faculty, students, and staff can purchase the plan directly from the company after registering a trip on the Travel Registry.

Travel insurance may cover events such as: accident and sickness, accidental death and dismemberment, baggage loss, emergency medical evacuation (evacuation for medical treatment to the nearest medical facility or the U.S., which could cost as much as $35,000 without insurance), international medical assistance (a service that directs subscribers to English-speaking doctors), repatriation of remains (covers some expenses to ship a body back to the U.S., which can be expensive), and trip cancellation/interruption insurance.

Faculty Handbook: University Travel and Reimbursement: